Setting up email notification
|InternetPeriscope can send you email notifications when
it detects that one or more of your machines is having problems.
Before setting up email notification, you must first add that machine to the console, and setup monitoring for that machine.
To setup email notification, right click on that host's icon, move your mouse over the "Monitor" menu item, and click on the "Setup Host Monitoring..." menu item, as shown in the Figure.
The "Monitor Host" dialog appears as shown below
To receive email when InternetPeriscope detects a problem,
you must first select the services you want to monitor.
See How to monitor a remote machine for problems for more
After you have chosen the services you wish to monitor,
do the following:
- 1.) Click on the "Enable Email Notification" checkbox to tell InternetPeriscope that you want it to send you an email when
it detects a problem with this machine.
- 2.) Enter your email address in the "Send Email To" checkbox.
- 3.) When InternetPeriscope sends you an email, it needs
to "fill out" the from address in that email. Enter the email address
that these emails should come from. If you are unsure of what to
enter here, enter your own email address in this textbox. To prevent emails from bouncing, this should be a valid (real) email
- 4.) Enter the SMTP server that InternetPeriscope should use to send you an email. Your ISP or IT department should
have given you the name or IP address of your SMTP server
when you setup your email program.
If you do not know
what your SMTP server's name is, you can probably determine
it's name by checking your email program's settings. For example, if you use Outlook Express, click on the "Tools" menu,
then click on the "Accounts" menu, then click on the "Mail" tab,
then click on the "Properties" button, and click on the "Servers"
tab to see your SMTP server.
- 5.) Enter the Subject that you would like to have
in the "Email Subject" textbox. When you receive the email,
it will have this text in it's subject line.
- 6.) Click on the "Test Email" button to send yourself
a test email. Check your email program to make sure
you receive the email. This will confirm that everything